Thursday, June 6, 2013

Climb Mountains


Climb Mountains- not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world. 


It's funny where inspiration comes from. 
For a good while I was getting my motivation from my kids at work who looked up to me and really, they kept me in line. Each summer for the camps I looked forward to each week's mashup of students to see what script and songs we could throw together to fit each individual's need. It was an challenge and a joy every time, each moment sticking with me and every performance kept getting better. 
But this year I need to find my inspiration elsewhere.
And quite frankly, this project came out of nowhere.

I have always enjoyed taking pictures. I am that one annoying friend at a party that will whip at my phone, demand a group picture, click profousouly a thousand times, and then continue to take candids the rest of the  night. Even though my friends are relentless with their groaning for this ritual of mine, behind closed doors or by a discreet text they kindly ask, "Uh, so can you send me those pictures from last night?" 
Bahahahaha. 
Though, I totally get how they don't want me to capture the moment when we all walk downstairs and find Cincinnati passed out on the floor. Photo cred actually belongs to Nic in this instance. 


 But then there are these moments...
























...That are so worth capturing.

I realized something.
Besides the mild obsession, in general, I enjoy taking pictures of people.
Probably in high school I had considered being a photographer as a career (proof being how I forced Genia to pose for me around my house and neighborhood sometimes making her wear certain items of clothing... kind of like dressup, right?!) but I think I doubted myself due to the lack of versatility.
I only like taking pictures of people. Why this is so, I'm still trying to figure out. It could be my belief that nature is so beautiful and breath taking in the actual moment that a picture can't do the real thing justice. Very similar to being at a concert. I went to Pentatonix and Tegan and Sara this last year and even tho I did record some vids, it was more valuable to soak in the moment and pass up on technology. The experience cannot be recreated for me. I still find value in perhaps, recording history... for instance, I have a picture of my family's house for every season... but for fun and enjoyment? Ain't quite my cup of tea.


However, a friend came to me that was a sweet reminder of a part of myself that I haven't spent time with in a while.
He wanted more head shots and although I was hesitant with my rusty skills I was eager to take a whack at it. Four mosquito bites later, voila! It was a learning experience for both of us. Him being in front of the camera and me being honest and demanding with what I want to see. Hopefully before he takes off we will continue this project and I'll see where it takes me. Here's a little peak at what we got.







It's funny. Money really wasn't an issue. In my mind, I am not a professional and taking pictures is a hobby, a favorite pass time. Even after expressing this endeavor to my parents my dad responded, almost verbatim what Basze said,
"But don't you want to get paid for a hobby?"
I guess if there's anything I am stubborn about in life-- it's not faking it. Friends, relationships, work, school, music... waste of time. I respect titles, so I won't claim to have one until I work my ass off for them. So, accepting payment for something fun when I am not experienced seems very wrong. I don't know the details of what I am doing I just know what I think looks good and I go for it. I milk it. And I enjoy it. Getting paid to dink around on my nikon would be weird. For some reason I couldn't put that notion into words as he tried to persuade me to state a fee of some kind. 
But in the end, I think I'm getting more out of this project than he is. 

"The person that you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better try to make yourself as interesting as possible."

No comments:

Post a Comment