Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Summer Realization No. 1

Communication Skills.
I suck at them sometimes. Which is hilarious because I hate miscommunications and get frustrated when they occur because I feel I communicate my message very clearly.
But now I begin to second guess.
Do I not ask enough questions? That's sort of... rude.
I am the kind of person who will tell you every little detail if you ask me. Literally word vomit on your shirt. No secrets, no hiding. As a result of that, I don't ask questions sometimes because I don't like to pry...and I subconsciously assume each individual with return the word vomit. It is not because I care less, I just take statements as is. No questions asked!
I really noticed it one night at Piehole when I observed Jason getting to know one of his buddie's girlfriend. He took notice of her eating habits and asked,
"Are you vegetarian?"
"Yes. Why do you ask?"
"Just curious... you said you didn't like bacon and .... haha don't get defensive."
"Oh, I'm not. I guess I just always ask why."
That simple conversation hit me. I don't ask why enough.

Another reason I feel like my communication skills stink is due to interacting with old friends. Sometimes the reunion takes a rough start when you're adjusting back into the groove of each other. And I've had several moments in my head where I pause and second guess the communication... did I sound sincere? were they sincere? was that rude? was I supposed to return the sentiment?

I never feel comfortable returning any kind of sentiment... not because I don't feel the same way but because I feel phony.
"I missed you!"
"I missed you too!" <--- that is SO lame! it's like, I just took your idea and added "too" on they end of it and now it's just as sincere. I think not. Even rewording still makes me uneasy.
"I missed you!"
"I know! Sunday afternoons aren't the same without you!"
Gosh, it's not because I don't feel it... I'm just awkward about it. Let me be the first to express it and then you can add the "too." Problem solved.

Lastly, I wish I had TIME to keep better in touch with pals.
"Want to hang out tonight?"
"Party at BJ's- bring your gf;)"
Really. The latter just makes one a more personal person. And I wish I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment