Thursday, July 7, 2011

Summer Realization No. 4

So I finally had a good talk with the boyfriend and he no longer thinks this blogging of mine is stupid. No offense to any other blogger, please. This was the guy in his junior year in high school, when we first met and starting to date-ish, he didn't have an email. Lakota and I made him get a facebook and he STILL thinks it's a little stupid but he keeps it so he can be friends with his baby's momma and see pictures of his beautiful little girl.  I am pretty sure he didn't get an email until ISU gave him one...

We had this talk on a bike ride around the neighborhood, talking of a lot of serious manners for some reason, but it eventually blogging came up. Blogging doesn't necessarily bother him but he definitely doesn't understand why I do it... and as a result, if he ever catches me blogging I get a heavy sigh and a, "Blogging.... reaally?" It wasn't a problem between us but we were definitely not on the same page until our bike ride.

It turns out, I am also using this blog as an outlet to begin writing again. Since high school, my writing has been very scarce and nonexistent. And that really scares me. I love nothing more than taking the time to organize my thoughts in an eloquent matter, putting it down on paper (or in this case, typing haha), and getting the satisfaction of rereading it later.

In my junior year especially, I could sit down with a notebook and write poetry for hours... no writing blocks, no rhyming gimmicks, no problems. But now, I feel as if I have to have an enormous euphoric life changing experience and even then... grabbing a pen and writing it down will be too much work, or I lose my mojo by then.

Don't get me wrong- I have had my perks over the years to get my juices flowing... for instance with my current job I get to write a 15 to 20 minute script for my kids at camp. As limiting as that may seem, (I have to stick to either Disney or Broadway ideas), when the kids learn the blocking, their lines, the music, and perform it on the last day of camp it is just as satisfying, if not more so, than rereading my work.

I also had an Eng 100 class at ISU last spring that I ate up. I loved that class so much that I was pretty much BFF's with the professor and a year later she still remembered my name and we would chat it up whenever we saw each other on campus.

So there you have it. I' am also blogging to at least be writing something. Besides poetry, I would write more stream of consciousness pieces anyway so blogging is perfect. And that's why I began my Summer Realizations.

These pictures are my kids from the first week of camp: Adventures in Wonderland. This next week we have the last camp- Broadway,  and Annie begins.



















2 comments:

  1. It's so lovely to see you writing again. I remember the sheer amount of material your myspace blog had, and it's sad how when you got to college it did just come to halt.

    p.s. At his core, I think Captain Dyer will just always be at odds with the interweb xD

    p.p.s. Girl, you need to add a follower widget :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how do I do that!? I don't know anything. I think I've annoyed Ethan with my odd questions haha.

    ReplyDelete