Sunday, July 10, 2011

Summer Realization No. 5-

Culture

I have lived in Moscow the majority of my life and for the mOst part I have loved it. However, I am just now discovering a new little subculture. Deep down somewhere, I knew it was there but I didnt realize to the extent of how it functions.

The other day I went swimming with some friends at the Grove pool. For starters, I swore that i would not be in a bikini at ALL this summer until I get back in shape... But peer pressure exists and the cool water was welcoming so I bit my tongue. Had tons of fun right. So the next day Jason wanted to do it again. We went at an earlier time and holy heck when we arrived and picked out our spot I felt like Mel Gibson in What Women Want when he just begins to hear The girls thoughts and he looks like hes about to have a seizure... Yeah that was me.

I literally had to sit down and try to think for a second. You see these kinds of girls on TV making a fool of themselves or you see these lookalike jersey shore dudes ... Elsewhere. Not in Moscow. Now dont get me wrong, I am a very accepting person of all different lifestyles hut yes, i guess i do discriminate against the superficial ones. The thing is- yes, these girls are prettier than me, yes they are in really good shape, and yes they give off the impression that they are living the life.. and with what Im about to state about them one could conclude that I am jealous of them and wish to live their life. Surprise! I never could. Their priorities are out of wack. I dont spend hours a day working out because i work three jobs. Even tho my parents will help me with rent I find great pleasure and satisfaction in buying something when it is with my own money and i dont have to go running to daddy for money. I also love doing something with my life and i feel accomplished after a good week of work. And lastly, Why lay by a pool when you can swim?

I have never been the shallow superficial type. I go out in public without makeup on and even in sweat pants. Gasp. And i love it. Of course i love getting all dolled up and of course i Enjoy being a girl. But i guess my idea of beautiful isnt blonde hair, orange skin, and a vocabulary of "like" and backstabbing other girls. I coudnlt live that life so this year will be a test of my true tolerance level.

There you have it. I miss Pocatello's social atmosphere and the beautiful people who are there. Its more fitting for me then this "party-spoiled" vibe up here. I would trade all the girls at ISU, yes even the obnoxious athletes who lived below me, for all the girls up here... Because those girls are indeed more beautiful in every way. I am of course speaking of the inside...
but I am also speaking of the outside. Where is the beauty in blending in and looking like another face in the crowd? All my friends from ISu stand out in a crowd. And my sorority encouraged diversity. Everyone here looks like everyone else. Barf. At least in this subculture, by the pool.

1 comment:

  1. woof! i dont appreciate that subculture either. I'm sticking it to the man, though. I wear a bikini almost everyday. and i'm definately not a victorias secret model. so they can suck it!

    ReplyDelete