Tuesday, July 17, 2012

"a dollar extra, sir"

After experiencing my first rush as a busser and then pulling a double and going straight to another shift at Papa Murphys... It hit me: everyone should be required to work in the food industry at one point or another. I find this to be so because common sense isn't all so... How do I say it... common. It really frustrated me when I got to PMurphs and a customer insisted that I put some red pepper shake in a carry out container like 'you guys normally do.' See we sell red peppers in a shake bottle... And if you order red peppers on your pizza it costs about a quarter or so extra... So this customer literally demanded I give him something for free. It was a rough situation when I was confused and asked if he wanted to buy a bottle and he got so offended. I'm sorry sir but everything has a price! And if hadn't spoken to me in a condescending manner than perhaps the whole situation would have not been a deal. But its the same when a customer watches us make a pizza and at the end of the makeline sees the pineapple and asks, "Oooh, can you add some of those on there too?" Now, usually we do it and whatever but really, the response should be, "Sure can, but that'd be an extra dollar." We would have hissy fits for days while the customer would have to go back to the end of the line, wait just to pay another dollar. Its called food costs people. The more customer exceptions, which is the better our customer service is, the higher our food costs will rise and we as employees will have our manager breathing down our necks weighing each pizza to check portions. (P.S. That has been threatened before and if that were to happen our speed of service would slow down immensely. Sooo think about that).

 Attitude. It always sucks when I greet you with a smile and you either take your bad day out on me or don't think I matter enough to respond with a "I'm good, how are you?" Besides customers saying they need a pizza when really they just want one, my latest pet peeve is when I ask a customer how they are and they just say good or fine thanks. I can vent about this because my dad does this to people ALL the time.... he's not a social one. But really. Let's all be humane and care about each other folks- its what we are hardwired to do. I'll be pleasant to you if you be pleasant to me. Isn't that called the Golden Rule or something?

And now bussing. I am now so aware of how to behave in a restaurant. Spills happen for sure but please don't just watch your child throw their cherrios on the floor. You may think you live here-- but you don't. You may let this happen at home, but this is a public place... let's act like we are in public! Haha. I know there are a lot of stereotypes for people who work in the food industry but really- screw that. These people are working their butts off to make sure you have a good experience, or a pizza to die for, so the least you can do is respect them and not treat them like scum or incompetent idiots. Find your goodwill people and check yourself at the door. 
 I love the food industry. It makes sense to me and I take pride in both places I work... there is something satisfactory when you come out of a huge rush on top and say, "did that really just happen?" both places I work are popular eats in their different genres and so rushes and regulars are a constant. And they are both team orientated! Never abandon someone on the makeline. Karma sucks and quite frankly if you help your buddy out they will help you later. Be considerate. Many have not and will not work in the food industry... But hopefully they can find the compassion to be appreciative for all we food handlers do for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment